navKeys 1.1 - for Adobe After Effects
More speed where it matters most. Your keyframes.
Give your J & K keys a major boost in After Effects with this set of scripts. Navigate and select the keyframes you need while still seeing other keyframes for timing and context. Select, nudge, & shift your keyframes faster than ever.
Move the playhead between selected keyframes.
This isn't complicated and doesn't need to be. Select a single keyframe and (if you use the suggested shortcuts) hit J or K while holding Alt/Option and you navigate between keys on only that property.
New in 1.1: You can jump between selected keyframes using newly-included .jsx files or holding Ctrl/Cmd in the KBar/dockable versions.
You can also select property by name on the lefthand column. You can even select multiple properties and navigate between all their keyframes.
Change your keyframe selection with ease.
After mapping the scripts to keyboard shortcuts, you can fly through your keyframes, shifting, nudging, editing as you go. No need to drag a marquee around the keys you want. Hold Shift* to add keyframes to your existing selection or hold Alt/Option+Shift* to reduce select to only the key(s) at the playhead.
*These are only the suggested shortcuts, based on J & K already performing the basic navigation between keyframes.
Run these scripts as keyboard shortcuts, from KBar buttons, or as a dockable panel.
These scripts are provided with flexibility in mind, so you can work how you want. Included in the download are eight ".jsx" files for assigning the individual scripts to keyboard shortcuts, and one ".jsxbin" file for running with KBar or as a dockable panel.
The eight ".jsx" files are:
- 01-navKeys-prevSelectedKey.jsx — Moves the playhead to the previous keyframe on the selected property.
- 02-navKeys-nextSelectedKey.jsx — Moves the playhead to the next keyframe on the selected property.
- 03-navKeys-prevSelectedKey-addTo.jsx — Moves the playhead to previous keyframe and adds it to the selection.
- 04-navKeys-nextSelectedKey-addTo.jsx — Moves the playhead to next keyframe and adds it to the selection.
- 05-navKeys-prevSelectedKey-selectOne.jsx — Moves the playhead to the previous keyframe and selects only that key.
- 06-navKeys-nextSelectedKey-selectOne.jsx — Moves the playhead to the next keyframe and selects only that key.
- 07-navKeys-nextSelectedKey-toSelected.jsx — Moves the playhead to the previous selected keyframe.
- 08-navKeys-nextSelectedKey-toSelected.jsx — Moves the playhead to the next selected keyframe.
Click here to see how to setup the scripts as keyboard shortcuts. Slight disclaimer: if you use the Alt/Option+Shift+J shortcut for "Go to Time" then you might not want to use the suggested shortcuts.
The single "navKeys-forButtons.jsxbin" can be run as a dockable panel by copying it to:
- PC: Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects <version>\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels\
- Mac: Applications/Adobe After Effects <version>/Scripts/ScriptUI Panels/
The same "navKeys-forButtons.jsxbin" can also be run through the KBar extension.
- Load the "navKeys-forButtons.jsxbin" as a new "Load JSX/JSXBIN File" buttons.
- On the "Script Function or Argument (Optional)" line, type in "Previous" (case-sensitive) for the go-to-previous keyframe action or "Next" for the go-to-next keyframe action.
I hope you enjoy using these scripts and that they will reduce the friction between you and your animations. This script was originally requested by JT DiMartile (@vmedium) and has grown in scope to its current form. Additions to version 1.1 were requested by Lars Jandel (@LarsJandel).
Disclaimer: This script is provided "as is," without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied. In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising in any way from the use of this script.
Copyright 2018 1Resonant Creation